Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tacos

This is not really a recipe as I do not make my own taco mix seasoning. I know, I know. But it’s just so much easier to buy the little packet and I can get them on sale fairly cheap. I do prefer the El Paso brand over others. I don’t know what it is. Maybe the color of the meat after it cooks?


I use ground turkey. Ground chicken if I can find it on sale. Will use ground beef, but it must be the 93/7 ratio. I just hate that fat in the bottom of the pan that needs to be drained out after cooking.

I use flour tortilla shells. Nope, don’t make these from scratch either. I have but it is a little time consuming, in my opinion and they just don’t taste that great. I suppose if I applied more effort and such, they could be better, but I do NOT have the time lately. Just wrap up in a damp cloth napkin and zap in the microwave for about 30 seconds to warm them up.

Gotta have diced onions, tomatos and Franks Hot Sauce. I use the Vidalia onion chopper thingy for the onions and tomatoes. Piece of cake.

Shred the lettuce by cutting the iceburg in half, take out the core, and then thinly slice. Doesn’t need to be perfect, but should be fairly thin.

Ahhh lets see, what else? OH. Cheese. Uh huh. Generally we use sharp cheddar, already shredded (that would be why the freezer inventory turned up 8 bags), but have used Mexican blend. Not sure whats up with that stuff though, didn’t particularly care for it, too much artificial taste.

Sour cream. I'm the only one in this house that likes sour cream on tacos.

Also, we always serve with chips & salsa. Salsa from a jar on nights like this. Since I almost always turn the leftovers into a taco salad for lunch then next day, I need all the extra leftover tomatoes for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment